New Page 6
What information should I ask of the aupair?
Choosing the right aupair for your family is important as nobody likes upheaval and
change. The questions you need to ask when she has not been interviewed by an agency
should be sufficient to enable you to make a comfortable decision. Here are some of the
questions we ask our aupairs when we meet wit them.
- Have you aupaired before? If yes, where, when, for how long and for whom?
- Can you provide a minimum of two character references and three child care references?
- Do you have experience with children aged (the ages of your children)
- What would be the ages of the children in your ideal host family? Why?
- Have you ever had counseling for a nervous or eating problem or any other problem? If
yes, when and what?
- Have you seen a doctor in the last six months? If yes, why?
- Do you have any allergies?
- Do you have any dietary restrictions?
- Are you on any chronic medication? If yes, what and is it controlled to an extent where
you can safely be away from home for a year?
- Are you willing to undergo a medical and if required an HIV test?
- Are you willing to provide a criminal clearance certificate (a good conduct certificate
from the police)?
- What child care experience do you have?
- Do your parents support your decision to be an aupair? If not, why not?
- Can you drive and do you have a driver's license?
- Do you smoke?
- Do you have a boyfriend? If yes, does he support your decision to be an aupair? Is it a
- What languages do you speak?
- What are your expectations from this experience?
- Why do you want to be an aupair?
- For how long are you willing to commit to a family?
- Do you require financial assistance or do you have the funds required?
- Do you have medical and travel insurance?
- Do you know first aid?
- Do you know life saving?
- What do you believe are the qualities and characteristics to have to make this a
- What do you believe are going to be your greatest challenges?
- How do you intend dealing with culture shock?
- How do you intend dealing with home sickness?