New Page 3
How should I structure a letter of offer?
Here is a sample of a formal letter of offer. A letter of offer should clarify all
expectations in advance so that there are no unwelcome surprises for either aupair or
The Family Name and address
Aupair name and address
LETTER OF OFFER
We would like to offer you the position of Aupair to our family. The terms and
conditions of the job are as follows:
- Hours - You will be required to work for approximately
per week. In addition
. nights per week babysitting will be
. weekend, will be spent with the family. You will
long weekends off a month from Friday afternoon to Monday morning.
- Duties and responsibilities - Your main duty is the due care of
will be required to get
.. ready for the day, get
.to kindergarten, collect
and see to his/their needs in the afternoon. You will also be required to assist with
homework, prepare lunch, snacks and dinner as required, bath and change as required,
arrange visits with friends, see to after school activities, play games together as well
as any thing else that may be necessary for his/their amusement and wellbeing. You will be
required to do some cleaning up after
. and yourself (including
washing and ironing for
. and yourself and the cleaning of your rooms).
- Salary you will be paid an amount of
.. per month / week in
arrears. Additional hours will be paid at a rate that we may agree between ourselves from
time to time.
- Start Date and Period of Employment you are expected to start on the
1998 and to stay for a minimum period of one year. If due to
circumstances beyond your control or for any other reason, you wish to leave at an earlier
date than our agreement, you will be required to give one months notice. If we
require you to leave, subject to the conditions specified under discipline, we
will give you a minimum of one months notice.
- Discipline Reasons which could give rise to disciplinary measures are as
- Causing a disruptive influence in the household
- Job incompetence
- Conduct during or outside working hours prejudicial to our interests
- Unreliability in timekeeping or attendance and
- Failure to comply with our reasonable instructions or procedures
In the event of a need for disciplinary action, the procedure will be
- First an oral warning
- Second a written warning
- Thirddismissal without need for further notice
Reasons with would give rise to summary dismissal would be
- Theft or other dishonest offences
- Illegal drug taking
- Child abuse or neglect
- Leave - You will have
.. weeks paid leave after
.. months of work. Leave must be negotiated however, well in advance.
- Accommodation You will have your own room in our home. We would like you to
treat our home as your own (with the only proviso being that smoking is not permitted
inside the house). We ask that all rooms be kept tidy and that friends staying over should
only be with our permission. If we go out as a family, you will generally be invited to
come with us (at our expense) should you so choose.
- School You will be enrolled at an Public School to attend a course in
. for foreigners for the duration of your stay.
We look forward to having you with us and are sure that our association will be a long
and happy one. Please sign a copy of this letter as acceptance of its terms and
I have read and accept the above terms and conditions